The Lake Bemidji Winterfest is an annual event sponsored by the Bemidji Chamber that includes outdoor Curling, Hockey, Turkey Bowling, the Brrrrrmidji Plunge and the Hard Water Ice Fishing Tournament on Lake Bemidji. The event is held the first weekend in February. More information about all the events, including lots of pictures are available at: http://www.winterfestbemidji.com/
The Bemidji Junior Curling Committee is in charge of the Bonspiel at the Winterfest event and spends many hours installing 6 sheets of curling ice on the lake and then running this event. Proceeds from the event are then returned to the Junior Curling Committee which are used for a variety of things including:
– Purchasing equipment such as brooms, sliders, curling shoes (which are available for rent for the curling season at a modest cost).
– Put on the annual Junior Curling “Curling Rocks” Bonspiel.
– Reimbursement of a portion of club dues for junior members.
– Pay the entry fee for state play downs.
– Organized travel to out of town bonspiels at a very low cost per participant.
– Partial reimbursement for competing in out of town bonspiels that require overnight stay.
In the last 8 years the Junior Committee has raised over $46,000 in support of Junior Curling including $4,500 from this years Winterfest Bonspiel.
New committee members are always welcome!